Rehab Grants for Substance Abuse Treatment
Rehab grants offer financial support for state alcohol and drug treatment programs. Thanks to federal grants, such as those offered by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), rehabs are able to offer scholarships, low-cost rehab, and sliding scale fees. This helps to improve access and mitigate treatment barriers to quality care for those who can’t otherwise afford addiction care.
In this article:
- What is a Grant for Addiction Treatment?
- Who Can Apply for SAMHSA Grants?
- Who Offers Rehab Grants?
- What is the Purpose of a Block SAMHSA Grant?
- How to Find a Rehab That’s Received a Grant
- Misconceptions About Rehab Grants
- Applying for Rehab Scholarships
What is a Grant for Addiction Treatment?
Rehab grants, which are mandated by Congress, are noncompetitive grants providing funding for addiction and mental health treatment programs. The most well-known grants are SAMHSA grants, which are also referred to as block grants. These grants enable drug and alcohol rehab programs to provide much-needed treatment and recovery support services.
Some SAMHSA block grants focus on high-risk populations, such as pregnant people, people who inject drugs, and parents with dependent children.
Who Can Apply for SAMHSA Grants?
Only private and public non-profit organizations can apply for grants offered by SAMHSA. Some grants have additional eligibility requirements, so entities will have to check the specifics of the grant they’re interested in. Some common examples of eligible entities include:
- Public or private universities and colleges
- Community organizations
- Faith-based organizations
- State and local governments
- Federally recognized American Indian/Alaska Native tribes, tribal organizations, or Urban Indian Organizations
Who Offers Rehab Grants?
Many programs offer grants to help fund substance abuse and mental health services, including:
- SAMHSA block grants: Annual amount of money awarded by SAMHSA to addiction treatment programs
- Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Block Grant Program: Provides funds and technical assistance on the state level, with targeted populations including people who use drugs intravenously, those with tuberculosis, and people at risk for HIV/AIDs
- Services Grant Program for Residential Treatment for Pregnant and Postpartum Women: Provides funding for programs offering treatment for pregnant and postpartum individuals, as well as support services for their children. This grant program focuses on low-income parents and their minor children who need access to quality healthcare, as well as historically underserved and marginalized populations.
- The National Institute of Health Grant: Offers funding for treatment programs that treat cocaine addiction
- Daniels Fund: Supports non-profit organizations in Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, and Colorado that provide alcohol and drug addiction treatment
- Alkermes Inspiration Grants: Funds non-profit organizations that provide recovery services for those affected by addiction or severe mental health conditions, with prioritization for proposals that address the needs of underrepresented communities, including LGBTQ+ individuals, Black, Indigenous, and people of color (BIPOC), and those affected by the criminal justice system
What is the Purpose of a Block SAMHSA Grant?
SAMHSA block grants provide treatment facilities with the financial assistance they need to fund prevention, treatment, and recovery support services. These SAMHSA grants are intended to allow recipients to:
- Fund treatment programs that demonstrate success in improving treatment outcomes for substance abuse and in offering recovery services that are not covered by private insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid
- Fund drug rehab programs that treat individuals without insurance or who are underinsured
- Fund addiction prevention services for those who don’t need addiction treatment
- Collect treatment outcome data to assess the effectiveness of their program
How to Find a Rehab That’s Received a Grant
While there is no list of every rehab that has received a SAMHSA grant or otherwise, but if you are looking for low-cost or free rehab, you can search for publicly-funded treatment programs. They receive assistance from the federal and state government to provide recovery services to those with substance addiction. Publicly-funded rehabs may offer detox, inpatient treatment, outpatient care, and other support services to those without insurance or those without the financial means to pay for treatment.
If you are ready to enter a rehab program but aren’t able to afford treatment, you may want to consider a state-funded or government-funded treatment program. Call our free, confidential helpline at 800-743-5860 (Who Answers?) for help finding a low-cost publicly-funded rehab. We are available 24/7.
Misconceptions About Rehab Grants
There is a wealth if misinformation out there regarding rehab grants and who qualifies for them. Many websites will make it seem as if individuals can apply for rehab grants to help finance their treatment, but this is not the case. Government grants, such as those offered by SAMHSA, are only available for entities like non-profit organizations. However, it’s helpful to know
Applying for Rehab Scholarships
Unlike grants, individuals can apply for rehab scholarships to help fund their addiction treatment services, such as inpatient or outpatient rehab.
Rehab scholarships may be offered through individual facilities and third-party organizations like 10,000 Beds. They are need-based and provide treatment coverage for people who:
- Are uninsured and can’t afford to purchase insurance
- Are underinsured and need a scholarship to cover the difference
- Have exhausted other financial options like family, friends, and community support
- Need specialized treatment not covered by insurance
- Are committed to attending treatment for at least 30 days
Find Treatment Through Our Rehab Directory
When looking for addiction treatment for you or someone you care about, it can be hard to know where to start. You can always browse our rehab directory to find a program near you or in a preferred location. Each rehab listing includes what type of financing options they offer, such as sliding scale fees. Some mention whether they are state-funded or not. Once you’ve compiled your list, you can call each individual facility to find out more, including if they offer rehab scholarships.